I have just finished our reading for my Human Development class and have some thoughts and reflections.
First, I have written a couple research papers on classical education, its methods, and if it is worth using. Within the classical education model elementary are given the foundations of education then their mental capabilities change to become more logical, using reason in middle school. In high school, the students can debate and develop their own ideas about the foundations they learned. This is very much like what was discussed in the readings and how students cognitive abilities change. If you would like more information about classical education heres a great website! www.welltrainedmind.com/classical-education
Second there was a part in the readings where they talked about suicide being more of a problem in students that did not get proper development cognitively or that their visible strengths are suppressed. I found this extremely interesting because i always thought suicide was more a social and behavior disability or peer pressure that creates bad situations for teens. I never thought it could be because cognitive development. However i can see if peers bullying someone who has a cognitive learning disability being made fun of and killing themselves. I was wondering what others thought about this?
Noah, After you and Sean left last night, we all decided that it would be a good idea to email Dr. Kimmons our case study draft and our questions ASAP to get feedback. I don't see your email so I'm contactig you through your blog; I already emailed Sean as well. I already have the case study ready to send to her and I have everyone's questions except yours. If one of you could type them up and email them to me, maybe we can get this to her before the weekend and get feedback in class on Tuesday. I think we would all like to get this done as soon as possible so that we can have one less thing to worry about.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I plan to send the complete first draft to everyone when I send it to Dr. Kimmons.